Happy Friday awesome marketer, should have been keeping an eye on TikTok all of this time?
Despite various challenges, including a US Government push to ban the app, the latest download stats from App Annie underline the enduring popularity of TikTok, which continues on its march to becoming the next billion-user social app.
In the meantime, Clubhouse scrambles for attention as it introduces direct payments on the platform - is the app truly build to stay?
As Facebook's NPE has launched a beta test of 'Hotline', a web-based app that incorporates the engagement features of Clubhouse with more visual and text tools, including optional video streaming for hosts and speakers, and LinkedIn and Twitter are coming at it strong, Clubhouse's future is still a mystery 🔮
Join us today on Clubhouse (I know the irony) to discuss and talk through all the news from the past week. Trust me, there is a LOT to unpack.
Let's get right into some goodness 👇
LATEST PODCAST EPISODE 🎙
Why are we so obsessed with marketing to show a quantifiable return on investment? What if marketing could be about improvement, and not worth?
In this controversial chat, Fab and Bill Skowronski discuss why marketing should be more about being better, rather than striving to be the 'best'.
NEWS IN BRIEF
- 💬 Good news for accessibility and better usage on TikTok. The platform has added a new auto-captions option for video clips, which will enable creators to switch on automated text overlays for their uploads, improving accessibility in the app.
- 📣 In a very interesting turn of events, Pinterest has launched its first ever B2B ad campaign, which aims to better frame its expanding use case and highlight opportunities for marketers. The new ‘Be Their Next’ campaign focuses on the differentiating factors of Pinterest versus other social apps, and prompts brands to get engaged in that chain to connect with its audience.
- 🧭️ Pinterest has announced its first-ever Creator Fund, which will allocate money to support creators on the platform, while it's also launching a new 'Creator Code' initiative, which aims to encourage positive interaction on the platform.
- 👔 Meet the new influencers. LinkedIn is fast becoming the new platform to watch with a new wave of influencers. The platform has published a new, 50-page guide on how to establish a thought leadership and growth strategy online.
- 💆The new Wellness Hub is the latest in TikTok’s broader efforts to provide a more positive and beneficial atmosphere for users, with several mental and physical health resources now available within the app.
- 🎤 Facebook’s experimental NPE team has released a beta test of ‘Hotline’, a web-based app that incorporates the engagement features of Clubhouse with more visual and text tools, including optional video streaming for hosts and speakers.
- 💰After launching its Creator Accelerator Program last month, in a bid to keep top broadcasters aligned to the app, Clubhouse has now launched its first direct payment process, which will enable users to transfer funds to their favourite hosts.
- 🤝 LinkedIn is developing an audio-based networking feature as its members and creatives have been asking for more ways to communicate on its platform: “We’re doing some early tests to create a unique audio experience connected to your professional identity.”
- 📈 Despite various challenges, including a US Government push to ban the app entirely, the latest download stats from App Annie underline the enduring popularity of TikTok, which continues on its march to becoming the next billion-user social app.
- 🍔 Impossible Foods launched its first US ad campaign, titled "We Are Meat," per a press release. The integrated campaign includes five TV spots produced by Wieden+Kennedy, along with digital and social elements.
- 🏝 Orbitz is introducing a refreshed travel hub aimed at LGBTQ consumers with the premiere of a short film on its website and streaming video platforms. The Expedia-owned company's "Travel As You Are" national campaign invites people to travel on their own terms, "not the ones society created for them,".
Is affiliate marketing for you? How can you make the most of it in an effective way? Learn how affiliate marketing can support a variety of influencers, and why there are a lot of misconceptions out there. Find out more about what it takes to be an affiliate marketer 🛍
RESOURCE OF THE WEEK
Automatic captioning tools for video have been around for several years and we're starting to see more innovation in the space. The Instagram Threads app quickly gained popularity on TikTok due to its ability to add automatic captions to a video just seconds after you press record.